History

Saint Theresa School was organized in the year 1931 under the direction of Reverend Charles Windels, SS.CC., the first pastor of St. Theresa Parish.  The school license was procured through the Department of Public Instruction in Honolulu.  Two classrooms accommodating about one hundred students, opened in the fall of September 1931.  Two sisters of the Sacred Heart's staffed the school.

The people of the parish showed such interest and enthusiasm for the school that before the close of the year, three more classrooms were added.  Building expansion and increased personnel and enrollment continued as each year commenced.  By September of 1937, more than 650 children were enrolled in the school.  At this timer the staff consisted of five sisters and six lay teachers.

The Sisters of the Sacred Hearts terminated their services at St. Theresa in 1938 due to a lack of religious personnel.  The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet replaced them in September 1938.

The school continued to flourish under the leadership of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.  As the enrollment increased, new classrooms were added to accommodate the students.  The school at this time was a series of wooden classrooms with connection lanais.

In 1956 under the leadership of Monsignor Benedict M. Vierra, a new concrete, two-story school was constructed.  In 1995, a second floor addition over the office provided an up-to-date computer lab and faculty workroom.  The new construction also expanded the office areas and library.  The second floor and office areas were air-conditioned.

In 2015, Saint Theresa School opened a new preschool and since then, our preschool has exceeded our expectations.

Through the years,  Saint Theresa School's administration and teachers have dedicated themselves to the development of students who are strong in their Catholic faith and fully competent in their acquisition of knowledge.  Many of Saint Theresa's graduates have made major contributions to the community, assuming leadership roles in every facet of the community.  Saint Theresa School strives towards excellence in all areas.  Methods and materials of instruction are continually updated to keep them relative to the times. STS continues to be an accredited school community achieving the highest tenure of a 6-year term until 2022.